Monday, April 2, 2012

As good as it gets

Today I saw a guy talking with this girl he had just met in the train station. It was a little annoying because the guy just kept on blabbing on about his life. I swear, in the 30 minutes that I was sitting there he had told the poor girl his entire life story.

This wouldn't be the first time I have seen this happen. In fact, I have seen it happen multiple times and I am sure I have been the culprit of doing it myself.

The thing about it is, at least for me, I just feel like I want people to know me. And when I say that, I mean actually understand the core of my being.

An old teacher of mine once told me about a concept that is very true, just not always thought about. He said that nobody will ever know what you are thinking or how you think. And the simple reason for this is that nobody except for you can hear you thinking.

This means we are all alone in our thoughts and dreams. No matter how hard we try to make others understand us, nobody but ourselves will truly understand who we are.

We are alone in this aspect, and it can be a bit frightening at times.

I think this is why people get into writing or some form of art. It's an attempt to show the world who they are. Who they really are. But no matter how hard we try, we can never fully express ourselves. Which is also a bit depressing.

I have always been big on writing. I wrote a lot of poetry and short stories in high school, and I got pretty damned good at it too. But no matter how hard I tried, getting my true feelings out on paper never really seemed to work.

No matter how great of a poem or a short story I could write, I was never fully satisfied. All of my writing was always missing something. Which always lead people to believe I was a perfectionist.

Many artists are thought to be perfectionists, however I understand exactly what it is they are going through when they critique their own work so harshly. It's just not it. It's not the fully expression of their thoughts and their core being that they were trying to express. And this is something that can very easily lead a man towards insanity. Attempting to achieve such a high reward is an unbearable task.

Anyways, that's just my two cents for the day.

That's why I think people are so ready to give up their life stories to strangers. They want to be understood. It's more then just the story they are trying to tell you. They are trying to give you an insight on their core being. Pretty intense.

And completely understandable for those of us who are looking for serious relationships.

I mean, what better way to scare someone off who isn't completely perfect for you then to tell them about all of your near death experiences and your childhood imaginary friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment